Tuesday, March 1, 2011


Birthday Bird

Today I have the card I made Sunday for this week’s sketch challenge. This is the card that I actually made after I created the sketch. Take a look:

Stamps: Occasional Quotes, Punch Potpourri
Cardstock: Not Quite Navy, River Rock, Whisper White
DSP: Springtime Designer Series Paper
Ink: Basic Black, Not Quite Navy
Accessories: Framed Tulips Textured Impressions Die, Top Note Die, Two-Step Bird Punch, Word Window Punch, Crochet Trim Ribbon, Chocolate Chip Re-Inker, Paper Snips, Two-Way Glue Pen, Paper Snips, Heat Tool

The card base is Not Quite Navy cardstock cut at 5 ½” x 8 ½” and scored at 4 ¼”. The card front was run through the Big Shot in the Framed Tulips Textured Impressions die. A piece of River Rock cardstock was cut at 4” x 5” and run through the Big Shot with the Top Note die.

A piece of Whisper White cardstock was cut at 4” x 5” and set aside. Some Springtime DSP was cut into one 1 ¼” x 4” strip and four 1” x 4” strips. The strips were adhered to the Whisper White cardstock starting with the 1 ¼” wide strip in the center and working outward with the 1” strips. This DSP layered cardstock was run through the Big Shot with the Top Note die, and then Paper Snips were used to trim on the dashed line that the die creates in the cardstock. The DSP top note was then adhered to the River Rock top note.

A piece of Crochet Trim Ribbon was cut to the length needed and dyed with Chocolate Chip re-inker, heat set with the Heat Tool, and tied around the top note. The bird from Punch Potpourri was stamped in Not Quite Navy ink on a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock and punched out with the Two-Step Bird Punch. Then two leaves were punched out of Pear Pizzaz cardstock and two more leaves were punched from Old Olive cardstock. One of each color was adhered to the backside of the bird with the Two-Way Glue Pen. The bird was adhered to the card front with a Stampin’ Dimensional.

When I went to stamp my sentiment from Occasional Quotes I accidentally dropped the block and it left a few black marks on my beautiful DSP top note. So to cover the mistake up I adhered one of each color leaf over the bottom of the DSP top note with the Two-Way Glue Pen.

Then I stamped the greeting in Basic Black ink on a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock and punched it out with the Word Window punch and adhered over the ends of the leaves with the Two-Way Glue Pen so that it looks like the leaves are coming out from behind the sentiment.

The now decorated top note was adhered to the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals. I may do a little tutorial about dyeing ribbon for you this week if I get a chance. I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday! Have fun stamping!